While some maintenance tasks are best left to the professionals, some are simple enough to do at domicile. Theoretically, changing your spark plugs is such a DIY-able maintenance particular. But sometimes, even straightforward jobs tin lead to meaning issues. That'due south what happened when I tried to change the spark plugs in my 2002 Chevrolet Malibu.

Changing spark plugs is a regular part of auto maintenance

A black-shirted mechanic compares old and new spark plugs while changing them
Comparing old and new spark plugs while changing them | Jack Milton/Portland Printing Herald via Getty Images

Although their maintenance schedules are longer than, say, your oil filter, irresolute the spark plugs in your machine is a necessity. Along with the attached ignition coils, spark plugs have a finite lifespan. So, fifty-fifty if nothing goes wrong, they need to be replaced every so frequently to proceed your engine healthy.

Spark plugs work by sending an electrical current across an electrode gap. When triggered by the ignition system, the ignition coil sends power to the electrode within the spark plug. That arcs from the electrode's tip to the metal hook institute on the exterior of the plug, making a spark. And it'due south this spark that ignites the air-fuel mixture inside the cylinder, thus making power.

Modern iridium and platinum spark plugs merely need changing every 60,000 miles or so, depending on the machine, Haynes reports. Withal, if too much combustion residue builds upwards, or the electrode gap changes likewise much, the plug can fail, The Drive explains. At that point, you'll likely experience operation loss, a rough idle, or an engine that refuses to kickoff entirely. And if there aren't any boosted ignition system issues, that means you need to supersede your spark plugs.

Regardless of what automobile you drive, changing your spark plugs is a fairly universal procedure, The Drive notes. Information technology'due south possible to practise it yourself in your driveway or garage with nothing more than than a few paw tools. Merely equally I discovered, it'southward a process that requires patience, attention, and precision.

What tin can go wrong when changing spark plugs?

A tan 2002 Chevrolet Malibu amongst desert rocks
2002 Chevrolet Malibu | Chevrolet

My starting time auto was a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu that had close to 200,000 miles on the clock when I got information technology. And one twenty-four hour period while I was driving to piece of work, it started vibrating roughly, almost like half of its cylinders weren't firing.

The upshot turned out to be clogged fuel injectors, rather than spark plug failure. But during the cleaning process, the mechanic mentioned that my spark plugs and wires needed changing. I decided to look upwards how to practice it myself and save some cash. Then, after buying the replacement wires and plugs, and borrowing a torque wrench, I got to it.

Broadly speaking, changing spark plugs is relatively elementary. After disconnecting your battery, figure out which wire goes to which plug and where information technology attaches to the distributor. And then, going one plug and one wire at a fourth dimension, remove the old parts.

Using a gap tool, check the new plug's gap and adapt it as needed. Then, thread the plug in by manus, making certain it isn't cantankerous-threaded or seated improperly. Once information technology'south finger-tight, torque it down to the required spec using the torque wrench and attach the new wire. And repeat until all the plugs and wires take been replaced.

Information technology'due south that part about cross-threading that I wish I'd paid attention to when changing my Malibu's spark plugs.

I didn't change the plugs properly and it killed my car

A GM LG8 3.1-liter V6 as used in a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu
A GM LG8 iii.one-liter V6 as used in a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu | GM

The iii.1-liter 'LG8' V6 in the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu is positioned such that the 'rear' three cylinders are correct by the firewall. I could easily access and encounter the 'front' three plugs. However, I had to screw in the rear plugs completely bullheaded. And although I torqued each plug downwards to the specified amount, I inadvertently cross-threaded ane of the rear ones.

Initially, this didn't crusade whatsoever problems. But nigh six months to the twenty-four hours later, that improperly-seated plug wormed its way loose and popped out. That caused an engine misfire while I was driving down the highway. And after limping to a shop, I learned what my maintenance had done.

Because of the LG8'southward construction, the part where the spark plugs screw into is softer than the plugs themselves. So, non only did I cantankerous-thread i socket, when the plug popped out, information technology completely stripped the socket's threads. That meant the mechanic would have to re-thread the socket before replacing the spark plug. And that meant disassembling the top half of the Malibu'due south engine as well as using a specialty tool that wasn't on hand.

As a effect, the estimated repair beak for my 2002 Chevrolet Malibu wound upward being v times what the car was worth. And that was later on the shop owner tried to find a replacement part to avoid re-threading the socket. And then, rather than fixing the Malibu, I sold it to a scrapyard.

Does this mean you shouldn't modify your spark plugs yourself?

Although this was an expensive and sobering wrenching lesson, that hasn't stopped me from changing spark plugs. Several years subsequently the Malibu fiasco, I successfully replaced the plugs and wires on my 1999 Mazda Miata. And although it doesn't demand them yet, I'm confident I could practice the same on my Triumph Street Triple R.

The point here is that irresolute your spark plugs requires conscientious due diligence. If you aren't confident in your wrenching skills, you don't have to DIY it. But if you work slowly and methodically, it can be done at home. I made the mistake so y'all don't have to.

Follow more than updates from MotorBiscuit on our Facebook folio.

RELATED: Tin Changing Your Machine's Manual Fluid Damage information technology?